Sterling Montessori Academy and Charter School is a diverse educational community built on the Montessori philosophy that fosters curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking in its students. At Sterling, teachers follow students’ individual needs to achieve personal academic excellence and to become life-long learners who respect themselves, others, and their environment.
Sterling Montessori Academy and Charter School uses the philosophy and teaching materials of the Montessori Method developed by Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952). Montessori education emphasizes learning through all five senses, not just through listening, watching, or reading. Children in Montessori classes learn at their own pace and according to their own choice of activities from hundreds of possibilities. A student’s work at Sterling is an exciting process of discovery, leading to concentration, motivation, self-discipline, and a love of learning.
Montessori education places children into three year age groups (3-6, 6-9, 9-12, and 12-14), forming communities in which the older children spontaneously share their knowledge with the younger children. This represents an entirely different approach to education. Montessori’s educational philosophy is multi-sensory, multi-aged, and child centered.
Sterling’s program is based on children’s developmental needs and creates freedom within limits through a carefully prepared environment. The environment allows exposure to materials and experiences that develop intelligence as well as physical and psychological abilities. Montessori materials are self-correcting, interesting to children and developmentally appropriate. The prepared environment is central to the implementation of the Montessori Curriculum.
- Sterling Montessori will nurture in its students, a life-long love of learning and respect for themselves and others in a peaceful and safe environment.
- The philosophy of Maria Montessori will be the cornerstone of the educational programs at Sterling Montessori, while complying with the requirements of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and Office of Charter Schools.
- The Sterling Montessori campus will be artistically beautiful and will be an interactive extension of the classroom by offering a prepared and sustainable environment for students.
- Sterling Montessori will be a community where the voices of the students, faculty, and parents are valued equally, and all members of the community are welcome to actively participate.
- Sterling will have a strong management team, led by the Executive Director, and together will create sound procedures guided by established policies that will ensure a safe environment for all.
- Sterling Montessori will be committed to responsible growth driven by genuine Montessori practices, financial sustainability, and the collective needs of the community.